Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Flying with Toddlers : 17 Months

One word: don't. 
Two words: do not. 
Three words: do not even. 
In a lot of words: avoid at all costs but if you have too here's what worked and what failed for us. 

I wrote about flying with babies, and since I had done over a dozen flights with them already I felt fine about flying with toddlers. We even took an international trip to Turks and Caicos when they were technically toddlers at almost 13 months old. We flew to Texas when they were 15 and 1/2 months. On those two trips, we lucked out with a few empty seats on a few of the flights, the girls were still taking morning naps, and they were just barely walking.  We felt confident enough to book another flight, didn't even think twice about it really. On their 17 month birthday. 

This June 1st, 2015 flight would mark their 6th out of state trip and 17th time on a plane, layovers Obaaaamaaaa. (New Girl). 

I hardly even made a to-pack list. Paci, snacks, toys, a couple of throw pillows, no big deal. Again I wasn't considering that they didn't nap in the morning, I was banking on an empty seat, and using all my old tricks. 

When this is the only photo you get on both planes to Knoxville... Houston we have a problem. No empty seats. No naps. Definitely a problem. 

Let me break down where we missed the mark on this particular trip. Relying on our baby travel skills and not taking enough consideration into the whole one-afternoon-nap-a-day-wiggly-toddler gag. 

THIS IS WHAT NOT TO DO:

1. Carry On Bag 
This will make or break you. I overpacked our bags and I paid dearly.

2. Toys 
I decided on two new Fisher Price Little People toys since they've been loving Little People at home. I packed a coloring book despite the fact that they only eat the marker at home, I envisioned the coloring quietly on my lap. I also apparently thought hugging "baby doll" would provide more than 5 seconds of entertainment while filling up 1/5 of my carry on. The Little People toys were a bust. They continued eating the markers. And again hugs only last a few seconds. I had other random toys packed in to the brim.

3. Snacks 
Their current favorite snack is yogurt covered raisins. Seems like a obvious choice. Until they were violently thrown all over every nook and cranny of rows 16, 17, and 18 with special detail to the nice man in 17C. What's the backup snack? My homemade peanut butter-apricot-ground almond-snack rolled in shredded coconut bites! Wow I was impressed with myself for packing such a healthy homemade snack. Oh what's Maisie doing shoving five peanut butter bites in her mouth? She must be hungry oh no she's coughing oh my sweet lands she spitting all five chewed up peanut butter bites into my hand and it looks absolutely disgusting. I'll just shove them back into my carry on bag so the 23-year-old recent college grad in 16B can stop judging me. You'll be singing a different tune soon enough pal. Or maybe not.

4. Too Eager 
I used all my tricks in the first 20 minutes before the plane even took off and was left scrambling. 

5. No Nap
Even though they hadn't taken a morning nap in weeks I used precious carry on bag space for blankie, lovey, bunny, and a few paci's in the event they took a nap! They didn't. And again, space waster. 


Redemption 
The flight home. The Way Back. Starring Colin Farrell with special guests appearances by Maisie and Camille. 
(How I envisioned the return given the challenging flight there.

THESE ARE BETTER CHOICES:

1. Carry On Bag
I packed sooo much smarter and made sure I could reach into the bag with plenty of room to spare. I put smaller toys in a ziplock bag. 

2. Toys
I turned to Pinterest and boy did it pull through. 
Weekly medicine thing filled with snacks. My girls love opening and closing so this was a home run. Also fewer yogurt covered raisins to shower on unsuspecting passengers. You'll also notice we lucked out with 1 extra empty seat. Toy + snack = best of all worlds.

This was just pure luck that we found out the song "Good Morning" from Singing in the Rain is mezmorizing to my wiggly toddlers. They'll sit still through the entire 3:36 minute gig. Several times! I apologized to seat mates for getting it stuck in their head and played on repeat. Love ya Gene Kelly. 

One book is enough. I didn't waste space with any more than that. I made sure to get books with flaps. Stuffed animals are only good if they sing like Daniel Tiger. And obviously they weren't allowed to see it until we got on the plane. 

3. Snacks 
The medicine dispenser toy snack combo was awesome. On layer overs we did more snacks so we were not dealing with hungry toddlers on the plane. The girls seem to do fine with their ears when they use the paci or sip water. Although Maisie and I did share a Chick Fil A chicken biscuit, I don't recommend it for a mess-free snack but we both loved it and it used up a good 8 minutes. 

4. Patience
On the first flight back home I had an empty seat next to me, and I was soooo tempted to bust out all my new tricks, because I want to see how well they worked. But I only got out a couple of tricks the entire 2.5 hour flight because they were happy enough just having their own seat. That was my greatest decision because we needed every last trick on the second flight. 

5. No Nap No Problem
Since my carry on bag was strategically packed I left blankie, lovey, bunny, and all but one paci in the checked bag.


Major take home points for flying with a toddler approximately 17 months of age:
- do NOT overpack the carry on bag. That awesome toy squeezed between lovey, blankie, bunny, puzzle, and backup paci #6 will do you do good if unreachable.
- pack a few very carefully selected distraction methods.
- toy knife and Velcro fruit in a ziplock bag. I only packed ONE fruit. They LOVED it.
- busy snacks in a medicine dispenser. 
- tearing pieces of paper from a notebook.
- if you are bored/eager/anxious resist the urge to move the tiny human on to the next activity. Wait until absolutely necessary. Otherwise you'll have used all your reachable tricks only to find out you're #9 in line for departure. 
- just because they like it at home doesn't make it a good plane toy. 
- Peanut Butter Snacks on a plane: The thrilling sequel that no one expected. Just. No. No more peanut butter on a plane. 
- fly direct whenever possible. 

Until next flight.... which will be in the year 2016 when we are forced to buy their own seat and it will be worth every pretty penny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment